If you were already worried about NXT's version of War Games drifting away from the rules of the classic match on Saturday in Houston, here's another wrinkle for you.
During today's media call for the upcoming NXT: Takeover event, Triple H confirmed there will be no roof on the top of the cage, one of the defining characteristics of classic War Games matches.
Triple H was insistent that he doesn't feel the spirit of War Games will be changed with the alterations and mentioned moves off the cage as something that has changed and dictated the removal of the roof.
NXT is a brand that delivers, but for people who have desperately wanted to see War Games come to the WWE Universe, it's a bit of a disappointment to see a match so far from the spirit of the classic WCW days.
As a reminder of the rules for the match:
The three-member teams of SAnitY (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe, and Killian Dain), Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, and Kyle O’Reilly), and The Authors of Pain (Akam and Rezar) and Roderick Strong will wage war inside a massive steel cage that surrounds TWO rings.
• All three teams will be contained inside separate shark cages by the entranceway, with a member from each team (as chosen by his respective squad) starting the match.
• After five minutes, the remaining members from one team will be released from their shark cage and allowed to enter the match.
• When another three-minute period elapses, the remaining members from a second team are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
• Following another three-minute period, the final team’s members are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
• Once all three teams have entered the War Games match, a victory can be attained via pinfall or submission.